Skip navigation

Ting Unboxing: Moto E (2nd Gen)

“The Motorola Moto E is perhaps the perfect match with Ting; it’s smart, it’s friendly, it’s affordable.”

That’s this phone’s tagline in the Ting shop and it couldn’t be more true. A great balance of price and performance, the Moto E is at the vanguard of a movement for inexpensive but very usable smartphones.

At $147 and with compatible models for both our GSM and CDMA networks, it’s an excellent option for anyone looking to pick up a new smartphone to use on Ting.

Take a look at this awesome device in our latest Ting Unboxing.

Device update: GSM phones in the Ting shop plus Galaxy S6 for CDMA

A lot has happened since last we spoke. Not least of which, we added a GSM network to what we’ve got on offer. Aside from the whole more coverage in more places, thing, that means a whole new world of device options.

GSM offers access to the wider world of phone choice and we’re pretty excited about it. If you’re looking for information on what to look for in a GSM phone to bring to Ting, we have a blog post covering that topic. Given that this is the Ting device update, though, and we typically talk about devices in our own Ting shop, that’s quite enough bring your own talk for now.

Buying directly from the Ting shop offers some peace of mind that playing the used market just can’t touch. Also, it saves sifting through Amazon new device listings, trying to make 100% sure that the device you’re thinking about will be compatible with Ting. With our recent addition of a nationwide GSM network, about 80% of smartphones made in the last two years are compatible. That remaining 20%, though, can be a stumbling block unless you’re well versed in the world of mobile phones.

Following are a few recent additions to the Ting shop, across both Ting network choices.

Five inexpensive smartphones that are anything but cheap

Kyocera-Hydro-VibeThere’s a movement afoot: Smartphones that cost much less than you’d think but that can do much more than you might expect.

Whether browsing the web, using your favorite apps, sharing snaps or video chatting with friends, you don’t need to shell out hundreds of dollars to get your hands on a quality smartphone that does exactly what you need it to.

Following are five inexpensive smartphones across both our CDMA and GSM network offerings that offer a great smartphone experience and, that you can actually afford to buy without signing onto an onerous mobile contract.

1. Hydro Vibe [On sale for $159] – CDMA

If durability is your primary concern, the Hydro Vibe where it’s at. No need to shell out $500+ for a waterproof Galaxy S5 – the Hydro Vibe is IP57 certified, meaning you’re fully protected in up to 3.28 feet of water for 30 minutes.

Equipped with impact-resistant glass, it’s built to take a few tumbles. If you’re a clumsy character, look no further than Kyocera’s Hydro Vibe.

Activate an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus on Ting today

iPhone6If the one thing holding you back from Ting has been access to the latest iPhones, we’ve got some good news for you. For both of us.

Effective today, an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus purchased unlocked from Apple can be activated on Ting. All that’s needed to get up and running on our CDMA network is the right Ting SIM card: The Ting Nano SIM, model C3.

If you’re looking to bring one to our GSM network, you can do that too. Just pick up a Ting GSM SIM card, pop it in your unlocked iPhone 6 or 6 Plus and you’re good to go.

If you want to be among the first to get an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus purchased unlocked from Apple up and running on Ting, this is your chance. Grab the correct SIM and get started!

Nexus 6 is coming. Grab a SIM card and get ready!

For anyone that’s been following the Ting story, this will be a familiar refrain.

We’ll be getting the Nexus 6. You shouldn’t buy it from us.

Instead, get a better deal on the cross-carrier Nexus 6 by buying direct from the Google Play store.

Ting Nano SIM C3 for the Nexus 6You will need a Ting-compatible SIM card to activate. That you certainly should buy from us.

So, in summation: Order a Ting Nexus 6 SIM card from Ting. Grab your Nexus 6. Load up your two package tracking numbers in separate browser windows. Obsessively refresh the pages to create a sort of cross-country package race.

Such fun!

Quick update: We’ve just heard that Nexus 6 devices from the Motorola Store should be able to make the jump to Ting starting later today!

Final warehouse sale: This is the big one

UPDATE: We’re completely SOLD OUT. That was much quicker than we expected. Thanks to everyone that bought a device in our warehouse sale and a sincere sorry to anyone that waited too long and missed out.

The upside of this faster than expected sell-through is this: Everyone that bought a device in the final warehouse sale will be receiving their $20 in Ting credit for each purchase sooner. Expect to see the credit hit your Ting account today.