Ting Tip: DIY
Simple tips, tricks and things you can do yourself to improve your mobile lifestyle.
Replace your old power outlets with USB power outlets. Lose the USB power bricks that litter your counter or bedside table. It’s easier than you might think to turn your old, tired electrical outlets into new, hot (figuratively speaking) USB electrical outlets.
Following is the step-by-step how to for replacing an existing electrical outlet in a simple circuit with a USB outlet.
What you’ll need
You can get everything you need to complete this simple job at a hardware store or on Amazon.
– Insulated screwdriver with interchangeable bits (Philips and slot) ($10… assuming you don’t already have one)
– A USB-enabled outlet ($30)
– Something to test and ensure the outlet you’re working on is not powered. We used a simple circuit tester ($7)
You may also need
– Needle nose pliers (to bend / straighten wire as needed)
– Wire strippers (if you don’t have enough bare wire to work with)
You’re sure the power is off, right?
An important note
Check city / state ordinance and local bylaws before attempting this or any other electrical work. The possibility of injury, property damage or worse is real. While we’re happy to share the basic steps for installing a USB outlet in your home and to demystify the process, this guide is not definitive. If in doubt, call a pro.