Phones for kids: choosing the best smartphone graduation gifts
Ting Staff • May 31, 2019if( has_post_thumbnail( $post_id ) ): ?>
As the school year comes to a close, you may need a few graduation gifts for students graduating from middle school, high school and college. Before you give your loved one yet another gift card, consider picking a smartphone that’s perfect for their age.
Any smartphone on Ting comes with the ability to toggle data on or off and limit how much data a particular device can actually use. These are nice options when it comes to teaching your middle school graduate responsible usership, or for those high school graduates who are taking on the expense of their cellphone themselves and are on a budget.
Which smartphones are the best phones for kids?
Middle school graduation presents
Middle school graduates are starting to learn about responsibility, but they’re usually not ready to take care of an expensive mobile device. Instead, opt for an inexpensive device that will teach your graduate how to care for more sophisticated models down the road.
Keep an eye out for phones with the following:
- Durable backs and bodies
- Water-resistance (preferably waterproof!)
- Safety features that help parents locate the student and block inappropriate content
At $199, the Moto E4 Plus is one of the most affordable smartphones that you can get for your middle school graduate. Despite the relatively low price, it offers some nice features.
- 32GB of internal storage (with the option to expand to 128GB with a microSD card)
- Front and rear cameras with LED flashes
- Enough battery power to get through a school day and an afternoon’s activities
High school gifts for a graduate
By the time students are finishing up high school, you can start to consider phones that cost a little bit more. Hopefully, your graduate has matured a bit since middle school and is ready for more responsibility!
Ideally, you want to find a smartphone for your teen that they can take to college. That means it needs to have:
- A long battery life for long days on campus
- A nice camera set for capturing new experiences
- Enough memory to hold games, social media apps and cloud apps like Google Drive and Google Photos
The Moto G7 Play comes with 36 hours of battery life, a quality camera set and a wide, 5.7-inch Max Vision display. It has all the feel of a premium phone without the price, making it the perfect phone for kids. The body has a 3D glass back and G7 Play comes with a fingerprint sensor.
- Masive 4,00 mAh battery
- 13-megapixel rear camera
- Speedy processing, less waiting
The Moto G7 Power comes with up to three days on a single charge. It’s ultrawide 6.2″ display makes for an immersive experience, powered by an octa-core processor.
- Fast-focusing 12-megapixel camera
- Hours of charge in minutes with TurboPower
- Splash repellent against accidental spills
College graduation gifts
After graduating from college, your student needs a smartphone that will make it easier to start a career and stay connected with friends and family members. For that next step into adult life, we recommend the Moto G7.
The Moto G7 ($299) is one of the best value mobile phones for college grads. Even though it costs just under $300, the Moto G7 has an attractive look with a full glass design, a solid camera set and a blazing fast octa-core processor.
- Recharge fast with TurboPower
- Ultrawide 6.2″ HD+ display
- Cretive photo software and Google Lens
Tips and tricks for students
Don’t forget to check out our data saving tips for students. On Ting, the less you use, the less you pay. You don’t have to break the bank for an awesome smartphone experience.
What’s in store?
In the Ting shop you’ll find everything from good ol’ flip phones to the latest iPhone and Android phones.Browse the Shop